Anyone interested in adopting a child in Ohio must complete pre-service training. This training explores adoption from every point of view, including the child’s. It can help you form realistic expectations of adoption and determine your parenting strengths. It also will provide helpful parenting strategies.
Topics covered during the training include the following:
- The adoption process
- The legal rights and responsibilities of adoptive parents
- The effects of placement, separation and attachment
- Child development and how it is affected by abuse, neglect and dependency
- Cultural diversity
- Behavior management techniques
- Available community services
Each agency has its own training process. When researching agencies, ask about their training programs. For more information, visit the Ohio Child Welfare Training Program website.